Nauntonbury

As I mentioned earlier, village fetes are a big thing in the Cotswolds. Usually our village hasn't had one, since it's pretty small. But this year a family in the village decided to host one in their horse field to raise money for the village hall and a local hospice. Glastonbury (the music festival) wasn't held this year to let the fields re-field themselves, so they dubbed our village fete Nauntonbury and had music along with food and games. It seemed like a big success, as hundreds of people came. 

I manned the face painting booth, and painted the faces of quite a few of the village kids (and maybe a dozen or so adults, too!) I forgot to take pictures until the very end of my face painting stint, so I only got a few from my seat. It was another beautiful day and it lasted well into the night. I only face painted for the first few hours, and then we all went home. (Oh, we also made a few trays of apple cider donuts for the bake table--bringing a little New England to England :))

The kids enjoyed it, but they had more fun the night before when Eric went to help set up the food tables, and the kids and I hung signs and they "tested" the bouncy house and bungee run with their village friend (whose field it was in). They had a blast playing with them all to themselves on the night before, so when they had to share with a bunch of other kids on the day of the fete it was less fun. But they still got their faces painted and hit up the bake table! All in all, a fun day.






Comments

  1. Fun! I just live the village community spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve been wondering who GC is and finally figured it out ❤️

      Delete
    2. Yes, it stand for gramcracker, what the kids call grandma!

      Delete
  2. Sounds fun, but I would likely have agreed with your kids that the night before was better😊.
    Also cool that a village that small has a hospice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agreed with them too. The hospice isn't actually in the village. But the woman who organized the fete works with them so she split the proceeds between it and the village hall.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Teatime: January

Becoming Bilingual (and Figuring out Flour)