Northern Wales: Conwy City Walls and Castle

After the beach we headed to Conwy Castle. As it turns out, it is also a walled city--one of the best preserved walled cities in all of Europe. It really reminded me of Avila in Spain, where Eric and I went years ago when I visited him there when we were dating. (Can you believe we've been married for more than fifteen years!? I felt so old and wise when we got married, but looking back I was such a baby! Fortunately, I managed to choose a good husband despite my youth :) )

Anyway, back to northern Wales. Conwy was probably the favorite castle we've been to since moving here. Combined with the walled city, it was pretty spectacular and well-preserved. Probably a highlight for all of us was the private room overlooking the chapel where Edward I could watch and listen to Mass without having to appear in public (which wouldn't have actually been public--just the others in the castle.) He even had a private en-suite bathroom in the little room. For whatever reason, going in there just made us feel really like stepping back in time.

Here we are heading into the old part of the city. You can see the city walls faintly up ahead.


And here is the climb up to the walls. You can walk along the walls on the way to the castle.



And here is the castle growing right out of the rocks. (Also, blue sky! Haven't seen that for weeks!)




These stairs had us mesmerized imagining what it would be like to walk up and down them regularly. Man they were narrow...



I guess they needed big fireplaces to keep warm (ish) in these huge old stone castles. Makes me appreciate our radiators!


Some views from the top. In real life you could see the walls of the city extending down the shore line, but I didn't capture it in the picture very well.



Here is the chapel from the inside, followed by the chapel from the view within Edward I's private chapel viewing room.



And Edward's private loo...




Comments

  1. Such a wonderful trip. The kids are getting to see and leaen so much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Teatime: January

Becoming Bilingual (and Figuring out Flour)

Nauntonbury