Happy Valentine's Day (A Little Late)

We don't usually do too much to celebrate Valentine's Day, but this year I wanted to do a bit more because I felt like our Christmas was so rushed and chaotic since the movers came on the 27th. So we got a little more enthusiastic than usual for Valentine's Day this year.

First, we made decorations. We didn't get any special supplies, but we made a heart mobile with white paper, red tissue paper, and a stick from our stream. It looks pretty with the sun showing through the window.


We made and painted tealight candle holders from salt dough:



We also made a heart garland with some of our extra packing paper but I don't know where the picture of that went.

For Valentine's Day breakfast I made pink smoothies (with kale and spinach added, but they still turned out pink!) and whole wheat homemade "Pop Tarts" shaped like hearts.


 Here's the table all set for breakfast.


These are the "Pop Tarts" filled with our favorite French jam before topping and baking.

We also made homemade crackers (out of toilet paper rolls) filled with a little chocolate and gum. But I didn't get a picture of those before the kids popped them open!

The day went downhill after breakfast. I was feverish by noon, and curled up on the couch by two. But at least we had half a proper holiday! Fortunately I had already chopped red fruit and made red pasta sauce for dinner, so Eric only had to reheat it for dinner. I didn't eat it, but the kids got their pink breakfast and red dinner. And then the next three days were spent in a blur of feverish aches for me...Glad to be better now, even if I still have a cough!

Comments

  1. Fun!
    Although your homemade cracker comment made me do a double take. Crackers made of toilet paper rolls doesn’t sound very appetizing but then I remembered where you are and realized you were talking about a different kind of cracker!
    Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's funny...Yeah, all the snack food names here are different, so when we went to Village Coffee and our neighbor offered the kids a biscuit, they hesitated until they saw it was a chocolate chip cookie!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Teatime: January

Becoming Bilingual (and Figuring out Flour)

Nauntonbury